5th Annual Symposium
5th Annual Symposium - Perpetuating the Family Business - the Ultimate Management Challenge
- September 16, 2011
- 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM
- Hotel Albuquerque
- 800 Rio Grande Blvd NW
John L. Ward, Ph. D, Clinical Professor of Family Enterprises, Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University
Perpetuating the Family Business--the Ultimate Management Challenge
John L. Ward teaches and studies strategic management, business leadership, and family enterprise continuity. He is an active researcher, speaker and consultant on succession, ownership, governance, and philanthropy. He is a regular visiting lecturer at IMD (Lausanne, Switzerland), Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Indian School of Business, and IESE (Barcelona, Spain).
He is author of the leading books on family business: Keeping the Family Business Healthy, Creating Effective Boards for Private Enterprises, Strategic Planning for the Family Business (with Randel Carlock), Perpetuating the Family Business: 50 Lessons Learned from Long-Lasting Successful Families in Business and Family Business: Key Issues (with Denise Kenyon-Rouvinez) and Unconventional Wisdom: Counterintuitive Insights for Family Business Success. With Craig Aronoff, Ward authors a collection of booklets, The Family Business Leadership Series, each booklet focusing on specific issues family businesses face. (See www.efamilybusiness.com.)
Ward graduated from Northwestern University (B.A) and Stanford Graduate School of Business (M.B.A. and Ph.D.).He currently serves on the boards of four companies in the U.S. and Europe.
2011 Symposium Schedule
- 8:30 AM - Registration & Continental Breakfast
- 9:00 AM - Keynote Speaker: John L. Ward, Ph. D - Perpetuating the Family Business--the Ultimate Management Challenge
- 10:15 AM - Break
- 10:45 AM - Keynote Speaker: John L. Ward, Part II
- 12:00 PM - Luncheon & Speaker
Guest Speaker: Mary T. Cooley, M.A., SPHR
Filling In The Gap
Mary T. Cooley, M.A., SPHR, is the Principal Consultant for HR Solutions, LLC,.a New Mexico based human resource assistance group designed to support profit and non-profit organizations in their ability to attract, retain and motivate employees. A human resources professional with over 20 years of leadership experience, in the United States and Europe.
Honoring NM's Family Owned Businesses
The Davis Family - CS Cattle Company, Cimarron, NM - Founded in 1873
The Richardson Family - Richardson's Trading Company, Gallup, NM - Founded in 1913
- 1:15 PM - Keynote Speaker: John L. Ward, Part III
- 2:30 PM - Networking & Resource Fair
- 3:00 PM - Panel Discussion: From Text Book to Board Room
- Dr. Raj Mahto, Associate Professor, UNM Anderson School of Management
- Lauren & Jeff Kirkpatrick—AAA Roofing Company
- Alan Bell - The Bell Group, Inc.
- E. Larry Lujan - Manuel Lujan Agencies
- 4:00 PM - Reception & Resource Fair:Resource Fair Participants: Accion, AED (Albuquerque Economic Development), NM MEP, Sandia Labs Small Business Utilization Dept., UNM Anderson School of Management Family Business Program, TVC, SBI and more.